Needs in Recovery Assessment:
The Needs in Recovery Assessment (NiRA) has been developed to facilitate important discussions between mental health clinicians and mental health service users.
The NiRA provides a framework to systematically and holistically assess a broad array of needs that may be experienced by people recovering from a first episode of mental illness.
1. Identify the needs of the service user using the 38-items of need on the NiRA.
2. Rate severity of identified needs by marking the appropriate rating box.
3. Discuss which needs require prioritising using prompts provided on
4. Discuss options for meeting these needs, including who is available to assist.
Set achievable goals together.
5. Re-evaluate the needs previously identified using reflective questions.
next steps required to meet needs.
Assessing the needs of service users should involve an ongoing discussion to identify new and ongoing unmet needs; prioritise unmet needs; set goals to meet unmet needs and to evaluate and re-evaluate strategies which have been implemented to address unmet needs.
This process may occur at every routine appointment, or at specific and planned needs assessment appointments.